Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Days 10 & 11 - Anomabo Beach Resort

Early this morning I could not sleep. I’m not entirely sure why. So at about 2:30am I decided that I can’t go back to sleep and I should do something to pass the time; maybe it will make me feel tired enough to go back to sleep. I thought catching up on my blog for a few hours was the perfect thing to do. And I did so for about two hours.


Two hours later I turned off my computer and headed back up the steps and toward my tent. Tom and Aimee were sleeping in a tent nearby and I wanted to do my best to keep quite.


So I did but I also did not want to shine my headlamp around and wake them up. As I finished the stairs and turned the corner, I tripped over what I now know to be the ventilation shaft of a female slave dungeon and scraped my toe, shin, and knee. My knee had by far the deepest gash and was bleeding pretty badly down my leg. I quickly washed my leg and found our first aid kit. I spent about an hour treating myself and then laid down at about 5:30am. Our team was planning to get up at 6:00am.


At around 6:15am I woke up…er simply got up from lying in my tent for 45 minutes in uncomfortable-ness as my right leg pulsated.


We took down our tents and packed up our belongings and headed just west down the road to the Anomabo Beach Resort. The Gold Coast is littered with beach resorts but this one is fairly nice with good accommodations, close to Fort William, and not too costly. Tom and Aimee were staying in an air conditioned hut and I was sleeping in a tent on the sand close-by.

The next two days I spent lying on the beach, tending my leg, relaxing, reading, and eating a mix of local food and Euroamerican cuisine.


I didn’t take any pics. I just enjoyed some of their accommodations, like a hot shower and a good toilet as well as some peace and quite. Since Fort William is right on the water, we hear the sound of the fishermen, their boats and some of their 75 horsepower engines as early as about 3:30am.


The Anomabo Beach Resort is the perfect getaway from Fort William. When the excavation is in full swing, I will likely come back on a weekend or two and spoil myself…maybe drink some water out of a coconut or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment